When walking, hiking, running, biking, or driving to a new adventure, it’s important to make sure you don’t accidentally move invasive species from place to place. Invasive species have many pathways of spread. For instance, plant seeds and insect eggs can easily be moved around in soil or mud stuck to boots, vehicles, or even the fur of your pets! By learning how to inspect and clean your belongings, we can begin to reduce the chance of accidentally spreading something that could harm the outdoor spaces we cherish.
Play Clean Go
You can help protect the places you love! Always make sure to:
- Remove plants, insects, and mud from your boots, gear, and pets.
- Check your tires on bikes and ATVs and remove any plant parts before moving to a new area.
- Clean your gear before entering and leaving a recreation site.
- Stay on designated roads and trails.
- Learn to identify common invasive species and report them.